Saturday, January 29, 2011

Welcome Jannine Gallant and Chantel Day

This morning, the last Sunday in January, one week away from Packer Power, we are happy to welcome Jannine Gallant, author of TWO Class of '85 stories, Lonely Road to You and After All These Years. Both are different, yet the same for Jannine's intriguing voice which drew me in from the first page. 
Enough about me.  Let's meet . . . Chantel Day

Where are you from originally? I grew up in Summerville, New York, which is located on the shores of Lake Ontario. To be blunt, my father was richer than God, and I was spoiled rotten. I like to think I’ve changed for the better over the last 25 years, but I still find my present reduced circumstances trying at best. At worst, I’m torn between committing mayhem and crawling into a hole to hide.

What is After All These Years about? Did I mention my reduced circumstances? Picture me ripping my hair out! I went from Summerville to Manhattan, where my friend, Maris, and I created Beautiful Day Cosmetics. I had it all, wealth, power, and an unbelievable penthouse apartment. Maybe my personal life wasn’t exactly thriving, but love is overrated anyway. Then it all came crashing down around my ears when Beautiful Day was swallowed up in a hostile corporate takeover. I ended up broke and homeless, living in my father’s old hunting cabin in the middle of the Adirondacks. To add insult to injury, Flynn McKenna, the first boy I ever loved, the boy who broke my heart, is living a stone’s throw from my cabin. Could it get any worse!

What did you think the first time you saw Flynn? The first time I saw Flynn, we were probably both still in diapers. His grandparents lived next door, and we grew up seeing each other over holidays and summer break. We went from climbing trees and riding bikes together, to hand holding and innocent kisses, to what I thought was a deep, abiding love. Then we broke each other’s hearts.

What was your second thought? Once I recovered from the mind- numbing shock of seeing him again after all these years, I wanted to disappear. He looked incredible. No forty-three year old man has a right to look that fit and gorgeous, and have his life together. Especially when mine is falling apart.

Did you think it was love at first sight? Love, hmmm? Love is a dangerous word. It was definitely lust at first sight. All those memories came flooding back, the good and the bad. He hurt me once. Well, to be honest, it went both ways. I can’t stop the old feelings from resurfacing, but I’m trying to manage them. My life is a mess, and I don’t want to add a broken heart to my list of problems.

What do you like most about Flynn? What’s not to like? He’s kind and funny and sweet. He loves his daughter and worries about me, even though I’ve told him I’m doing just fine. Oh Lord, I sound like I have it bad. I may have to reconsider that love question.

How would you describe him? Flynn is, well, unforgettable. For twenty-five years, I tried to put him out of my mind and couldn’t. Every other man I met fell short in comparison.
How would he describe you? Complicated. Definitely complicated!

What made you choose dog treats as your new career? It just sort of happened. My dog, Ace, was chomping his way through the last of the homemade treats I’d been given, loving every morsel of them, when I had an epiphany. Why not make them myself and sell them online? What did I have to lose? With Ella’s help, we set up a website, experimented with flavors, and launched an advertising campaign. Have I mentioned Flynn’s daughter, Ella? She’s a terrific girl, smart and sweet. She makes me think I really missed out all these years putting career before family. Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to get a second chance.
What is your biggest fear? It should be spending the rest of my days moldering away in Hilltop, but it isn’t. The place is growing on me. My biggest fear is that I’ll let myself fall deeply and completely in love with Flynn again and get my heart broken a second time.

How do you relax? Relaxing is hard. I’m type A from head to toe, but I do enjoy hiking in the woods around the cabin and taking a swim in the lake outside my front door.

What's your favorite fictional character and why? Hmmm. Scarlett O’Hara reminds me a little of me. She was spoiled and pampered, but in the face of adversity, found inner strength. I hope I have the same fortitude.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My father once said, “If it comes too easily, it isn’t worth having.” Of course he was talking about business, but I think it may apply to love. If Flynn and I can find our way back to each other, we’ll have something truly incredible to show for it.

To Jannine Gallant, author: What books have had an impact on you? To answer that question I took a look at my bookshelf. What are the books I considered keepers? I found an interesting selection. The authors who have been on my shelf forever are Mary Stewart and Barbara Michaels. Next I moved into a historical period and kept books by LaVyrle Spencer and Lisa Gregory. Lastly I have novels by Kathleen Gilles Seidel, Barbara Delinsky, and Nora Roberts that have been read and reread. My writing reflects my taste in reading material. I’ve written historical romance, contemporary romance with a touch of mystery, and romantic suspense. I like to change it up, but I can’t stay away from the romance!

Where can we purchase After All These Years? Go to www.thewildrosepress.com.

And where can we learn more about Jannine and her other stories? You can go to: www.janninegallant.com; www.janninegallant.blogspot.com.

Thanks for spending time with me, Chantel. It was great to have you visit Wild Woman Kane's blog!

11 comments:

  1. Mallory,

    Thanks so much for having me and Chantal on your blog! The interview was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview. Congrats on the two Class of 85 stories, Jannine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, if After All These Years hadn't already been on my TBR list it would be now. Chantel is my kind of heroine.
    Happy Sunday, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I love the sound of "After All These Years". Sounds like a MUST READ to me. Best of luck, Jannine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma,

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna,

    You're always so supportive. It's greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maeve,

    Thanks for visiting. After All These Years was great fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, ladies! Isn't it funny how Chantal and Lisa Cavendish (the heroine from Transatlantic Loving) both think they are like Scarlet O'Hara, LOL!
    Confession: I haven't bought After All These Years yet! I will go and rectify that right now.

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right about Scarlett, Rachel. That's because we both have such amazing heroines - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jannine,

    Loved learning about Chantal. Can't wait to read her story.

    Since I so enjoyed Lonely Road to You, I am so looking forward to After All These Years.

    Take care,

    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, Margo. Hope you enjoy After All These Years. I tried to figure out which one I had more fun writing--and couldn't!

    ReplyDelete