Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tony the Wolf has met his match . . . sort of

     In keeping with a recent turn of focus, Wild Woman Kane is pleased to welcome Charlotte McPherson, a bright, young supporting character in Keena Kincaid's first Class of '85 story, Something More. Something tells me after meeting her, you'll agree Charlotte could hold her own with the likes of Denny Ryker and Tony the Wolf. Take it away . . . Charlotte!

     Hi. I’m Charlotte McPherson. I’m 17 and I’m…what? No, I wasn’t named after Charlotte from Sex and the City—as if! My brother, Nick, told me I was named for the spider in a story about a pig, but he said that because I was scared of spiders when I was a little kid. I was really named after the writer who wrote Jane Eyre. I think that’s cool, but I pretend I haven’t read the book. It’s not cool to be smart.
Where are you from? I’m from Summerville, NY, a boring little city at the edge of the most boring of the great lakes (Lake Ontario) in the most boring part of New York state.
What is Something More about? It’s about what happened when I ran away from Nick’s condo in New York City. See, my parents died in a car crash. Well, they weren’t really my parents, but I didn’t know that until the funeral. Everyone knew and everyone frakking lied to me! Everyone! God, I was pissed. Still am a little bit. So anyway I learned about that. Then Nick said he wanted me to go live with him in the city. No way. All my friends are here! So I left and stayed with my boyfriend.

     Oh, you wanted to know more about Nick and Nora.
What did you think the first time you saw Nora? She’s pretty cool for an old lady. I think she’s like 40 or 50. Anyway, did you know she beat Nick up? After I ran away, I needed money, so I went to the restaurant where I used to work to get my last check. Nick was waiting there. I ran into the women’s bathroom. Nora was in there. Nick came in after me. Can you believe it? He came right into the girl’s bathroom! Nora thought he was pervy, so she did some sort of martial arts move and put him on the ground! It was way cool. Then I stole her car keys—she had a Volkswagen key fob, so I knew I could figure out which car in the lot was hers—and took her car so I could get away.
What was your second thought? That I shouldn’t steal from someone who just beat up my brother. He’s been in prison. He’s tough.
Did you think it was love at first sight? No way. Being beaten up by a woman has to be a lust kill. Then again, Nick can be weird.
What do you like most about Nora? She doesn’t tell me what to do. I needed advice once, and she gave me the straight dope. She didn’t tell Nick either.
How would you describe her? I think she’s cool. David, her nephew, says she’s an ass pain, but he lives with her.
How would she describe you? Don’t ask. After I took her car, Casey—the douche bag ex—totaled it. I’m not her favorite person at the moment.
What is your biggest fear? That Nick is lying to me when he says he wants me to come live with him when he really just feels obligated to take care of me. He lied to me all my life, why would he suddenly tell the truth now?
Who's your favorite fictional character and why? Don’t tell anyone, cause it’s so uncool, but I love Six from Battlestar Galactica. She just so in charge of herself and everyone else. David says I’m like Starbuck. I hope he’s wrong. She’s pretty frakked up.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Nora told me once that everyone gets several, maybe dozens of chances at love, and to not throw away future opportunities because I’m scared no one else will want me.
To Keena: What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? One of the best openings to any novel I’ve ever read is, “I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills” by Isak Dinesen (Out of Africa). It tells you where the book takes place, that she’s no longer there and that she wishes herself back. I still want to write such an evocative opening line.

Keena Kincaid likes to say she writes romances in which passion, magic and treachery collide to create unforgettable stories. The truth is she’s usually kidnapped by tall, handsome men (who are totally into someone else) and held hostage until she helps them win the woman of their dreams. For more information about her books, visit: http://keenakincaid.com/

And now, an excerpt from Something More . . .

Nora was either spinning or falling. Perhaps both. His mouth brushed hers again. The heat and taste of peat from the Scotch lingered on her lips as Nick placed a series of soft kisses along her jaw, her chin. He nipped her lower lip and pressed her against the rail, a gentle movement that knocked the air from her chest with the promise of what was to come.
Anxiety slithered over skin. She couldn’t do this. Hadn’t done this since her divorce—actually for years before that. She was going to embarrass herself if she kept going.
Nick—”
He tilted her chin upward with one finger, shifted the angle of his body until the solid heat of his erection burned through her jeans. Bones melted. Doubts faded. His lips worked over hers in a heady blend of skill and desire.
The hand beneath her sweater slid upward, over the bumps of her ribs until his fingertips traced the lace of her thin bra, catching her nipple between finger and thumb. His tongue tangled with hers. He took his time, drinking her like fine Scotch and running his hands over her body with exquisite slowness. Her head spun from a primitive demand for sexual satisfaction. She’d forgotten what it was like, this incandescent, all-consuming need for another person. She pressed her palm against his chest, felt the heat of his skin, curled her fingers against hard muscle. His heart thumped hard and fast against her hand. He broke the kiss and leaned against her, his face against her hair. He smelled spicier than before, warmer, too.
Are you certain?”
Pulling back, she studied him, trying to decipher the flicker of doubt on his face. “Who would’ve thought the wild boy of Summerville High would grow up to be so staid?”


22 comments:

  1. What a lovely excerpt. Keena, I want this book!!!The characters are so real. I want to meet them as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mona. Charlotte, here. The links to Something More are below. It focuses on my brother and Nora, though. I don't know why. It's not like I was eating nachos and watching Mall Cops the whole time.

    http://www.amazon.com/Something-More-Class-85-ebook/dp/B004CLYM48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1299971832&sr=8-1

    http://thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=175_140&products_id=4316

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we go again, lost my first comment in cyberspace. Anyway I got to pondering after reading the interview that just maybe my friends are right, it's much easier to raise a son than a daugher.
    Great excerpt, Char even if the book doesn't feature you. Maybe next time, babe. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Charlotte. I totally get where you are coming from. Frikkin liars are the worst. Why can't people be real about stuff? I'm like so blown away by what you wrote. Give 'em hell, sistah.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved ya, Charlotte, but between you and me, I would have popped you one if I were Nora! Hope life is treating you better these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friends are wrong, Donna, I'm not the one who was neighborhood pot dealer in high school or went to jail for being stupid enough to sell to an undercover cop. Nick was. Mom...well, you know who I mean, always said he gave her the gray hairs. I gave her the smile lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you, Maggie. Thanks for having my back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life isn't bad right now, Jannine, just weird. Nora made me work off the value of the car. Do you have any idea what a vintage Volkswagen convertible is worth? I had to paint the entire living quarters of the Bed and breakfast Nora runs. The Nick made me paint the office he made by converting the old carriage house behind the inn. I still have paint in my hair! If it hadn't been for David', I would've lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yo Charlotte--What's your sign? My place or yours?

    Tony the Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  10. As if. I've been taking lessons from Nora. I know what to do with pervs like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice to meet you, Charlotte. Very nice. Can't wait to read Nick and Nora's story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tony, have I told you about Andy Morgan, my brother's FBI buddy? He works in the organized crime division. Come by and I'll introduce you two (and remind him I'm underage).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlotte, at the beginning of "Something More" I thought you were a spoiled brat, but as I learned your story, you really grew on me. Nick and Nora's story is a real keeper. You gotta love a woman who knocks a man flat in the women's washroom! My favorite part of the story!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Age may be just a number, buddy, but mine will you get 5 to 10!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Jana,
    Thanks for the taking the time to get to know the real me. I mean, I hate it when people just assume that because I did something I probably shouldn't have--OK, OK, a lot of things I shouldn't have--doesn't mean I'm a loser. I have a GPA of 3.8 and was planning to go to Brown, but I've been thinking about Harvard lately...although Nick says I should go to Yale because they like criminal-types in New Haven. He's kidding. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charlotte and Keena,

    Great getting to know you better, Charlotte.

    Having already read, and loved, the book, I have a pretty good handle on Nick and Nora.

    BTW - Donna is right about sons being easier to raise than daughters. I know, having raised two of each. This is for you, Charlotte, the rewards from the daughters are phenomenal. I'm sure you won't disappoint.

    Take care,

    Margo

    PS - Way to hold your own with 'Tony the Perv'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Margo,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the book about Nick and Nora. I personally think the author missed the most interesting parts, but she's old, too. She probably doesn't know what's cool.

    I like 'Tony the Perv.' It has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charlotte, it's not easy being a teenager is it? Hang in there, Sweetie. Nora is the bomb.

    Keena, GREAT blog! What a treat to have you in character. I loved Something More. Two thumbs up!
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know, Steph, it wasn't be so hard if adults weren't brain dead. Why lie to us? It's not like we can't handle the truth.

    Anyway, thanks for coming by, and I'm glad you enjoyed Something More. I like Nora, too. She's like a really good sister and cool, fun aunt rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete