Sunday, February 13, 2011

Welcome Donna Bolk and Denny Riker

This morning we welcome Donna L. Bolk, creator of Getting It Right, and Denny Riker, one of the characters who refuses to go away.

Donna: Mallory thanks so much for having me as a guest blogger today. As you can see I didn’t travel solo. Denny Riker, my bad boy from Getting It Right – the Class of ’85 reunion Series, refused to stay behind. Just between me and you, Denny has a good heart, but he can be a pain in the – well, let’s just say from the day I met him, he’s been an interesting character to deal with.”

Hey wait up there, author girl.”
Denny don’t snap your fingers at me, that’s rude.”
Don’t talk about me like I’m not in the room.”
See what I mean?”
Here’s the thing, Mal, Donna is an okay author, but this isn’t her story to tell it’s ours, me, Kelly and Tye. I’m the one you should be talking to.”

Fine, Denny, you want to do the interview go for it.”
Right, and you’ll do what you always do.”
And that would be?
Put words in my mouth, author girl, put words in my mouth.”
Where are you from originally? Depends on who you talk to, if you ask my old man he’d tell you Hell. See, he had to do a trade-in - a kid for a wife. He always figured he got the raw end of the deal. I never knew my mom, she checked out the day I checked in. Now, if you want to know where I was born, that would be Summerville, New York.
What is Getting It Right about? Life, man, the good, the bad and the ugly. I’ll lay claim to the bad and ugly, and slap good on my best friend Tye and his girl Kelly. We’re all graduates from the class of ’85. Man, that was a lot of years ago. We’re all headed back to Summerville for our 25-year class reunion. I won’t be there, (I won’t tell you why, you’ll have to read the story to find that out) but Tye and Kelly will be there. You know he should have married that girl. That where the title comes in Getting It Right. He’s getting a second chance to do what he should have done the first time around.
What did you think the first time you saw them? Tye was a squeaky clean kid, trying to act tough. He couldn’t pull it off. We dubbed him the professor, because he was so smart. He didn’t have to crack a book to ace a test. And sweet Kelly well she’s a preacher’s kid. She saw good in everybody. She had the best smile, well until Tye did her bad.
What was your second thought? I don’t have second thoughts about anything. I make up my mind and that’s it. Done deal.
Did you think it was love at first sight for them? I don’t remember. Back then everything was a haze. I spent a lot of time stoned and I sure as hell wasn’t an expert in love. If I had been maybe things would have turned out different for me and my girl Sissy, but that’s another story.
What do you like most about Tye? His loyalty he always had my back. Even when I didn’t have his.
How would you describe him? What’s the deal, man, you running out of questions? I already told you smart, loyal, hell he was a regular Boy Scout.
How would he describe you? As the SOB who ruined his life. Sorry, you’re going to have to read the story if you want more details.
What made you choose auto mechanic as a profession? Auto mechanic. That sounds so pretty. I was a frigging grease monkey. I tinkered with cars and pumped gas. I didn’t have Tye’s smarts.
What is your biggest fear ? Change that question to was not is. I thought maybe I’d screwed things up so badly that they’d never be right. But I found out that the big guy upstairs has a way of making things right. Maybe that’s why Kelly smiled all the time, she always knew that. It took me a few years to figure it out.
How do you relax ? Sex, drugs and rock and roll. Close your mouth, man. I’m only kidding. I’m always in relax mode, no matter what I’m doing. I put the ‘M’ in mellow.
What's your favorite fictional character and why? Scrooge, he got to fall asleep, have a dream, wake up and make everything right.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Run. But that’s another story, too. It’s been fun but it’s time for me to go. Denny Riker checking out.

To Donna: What movies or books have had an impact on you?
There is where I should be all artsy and start naming the classics, but that’s not me. I have always leaned toward small town settings. Peyton Place was the first book I read from cover to cover, I was 13 at the time. I don’t want to have to look for the deeper meaning in a story, I want it there for me on the page, ready to jump into my heart and make me care. I sincerely hope that’s the type of reading experience I give to those who read my books.

Riker checking back in. Mal, shouldn’t Donna mention her award nominations?”
Denny, if Mallory wants to know about them she’ll ask. I don’t think—“
Look, author girl, you need to speak up while you have the chance. It’s not like people are banging your door down to get interviews.”

Fine. Getting It Right has been nominated by the Romance Studio for Best Romance 2010.”

What about that other book, Package Deal? I’m not in it, but what the hell tell them about it.”
Okay, Package Deal was nominated by the Readers Choice Poll at Predators and Editors for Best Romance 2010. If readers are interested they can check it out on my web site. Now can we give them an excerpt from Getting It Right?”
Works for me, just as soon as you tell them what your web site is and where they can order your books.”
My web site is www.donnalbolk.com and here’s where they can find my books http://www.thewildrosepress.com/donna-l-bolk-m-466.html

Great, now let’s get back to the important book, Getting It Right. Excerpt away, author girl.”

     “Kelly I want you to stay away from that boy.”
      She finished rinsing her cereal bowl and put it in the dish rack. “Daddy that boy has a name, it’s Tyler Jackson. And we’re just friends.” For now, she added silently. She turned, leaned against the sink and looked at her father. “I don’t understand why you won’t give him a chance.”
      He lowered the paper he’d been reading. “For the same reason I wouldn’t belly up to a snake and kiss it.”
      “Tyler isn’t a snake.”
      “No, he’s a troubled boy who drinks and smokes. And he’s made fast company with Denny Riker and Sharon Monroe.”
      “Is that all you’ve got on him?” She folded her arms and shrugged. “Why, I heard he dances with the devil on Saturday night, too. The two of them are just thick as thieves.”

Donna and Denny, thank you both for visiting us today. It's been a real . . . experience!
Mallory

11 comments:

  1. Loved the interview and the excerpt. Should be a great read. Author girl, maybe you and your buddy could stop by Vintage Vonnie for a visit. Wishing you great sales!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved, loved, loved the interview, Denny. Thanks for an entertaining Sunday morning, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview Denny did a great job. Donna Bolk is a great talent. I can't wait for her next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vonnie,Thanks for your good wishes. Denny and I would love to visit.

    Jannine, Thanks for stopping by, I can always count on you for a kind word.

    Debbyann, love you too, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Great book, great author!

    What have you got in the works, Donna? We can't wait much longer!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Denny, you are a good guy too, if only you'd just see it.

    As is my way, I'm a day late, but I'm here.

    Great interview Donna, Mallory and Denny.

    Thoroughly enjoyed "Getting It Right" the first time I read it. All of the kudos, including Best Romance of 2010 are well deserved.

    Can't wait for the next one, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,
    Thanks for the stopping in, and for asking. I'm still finishing up Made for You. I'm so hoping the editor hasn't written me off. This has taken longer than it should have to complete. I've got one in the works that I'm hoping will be picked up by LROS, South of Heaven, twins boys separated at birth, one brother sold, one left for dead, one good one bad. And I have a paranormal I'll be hawking at the LSFW conference in NJ next month. A woman caught in a freak accident, that gives her the ablility to do a body/soul split. And her soul chooses to visit murder scenes. Bet that's more information than you needed. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Margo,
    I am the the queen of I should have done that yesterday. Your support is heartfelt, no matter when it comes. There's no such thing as too late, when it comes to kind words. Oh, and Denny sends his thanks, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! LROS has a wonderful cast of characters. Well done, Donna and Mallory--oh and you, too, Denny! LOL!

    Sharon Buchbinder

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon,

    Thanks, and congrats to you and Bonded for Life, just read (another) top rated review you received.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mal,

    I just wanted to say thank you for allowing my sidekick and I to share the spotlight this week. And a big thanks to all who stopped by.

    ReplyDelete